Take a look!
Jackson Heights co-ops in the historic district has received increasing interest as people discover the quality and charm of these pre-war apartment buildings from the 1920s and 1930s.
Jackson Heights developer The Queensboro Corporation pioneered the idea of garden apartment buildings, where the buildings often covered less than half of the property's footprint, and apartments received plenty of sunlight and air. Many of the prized Jackson Heights co-ops have interior courtyard gardens, giving urbanites their own private parks.
Hawthorne Court (35-13 to 35-55 76th St., and 35-14 to 35-58 77th St., Jackson Heights, NY )
The neo-Georgian look of Hawthorne Court (1922) was designed by George Henry Wells. The 14 brick buildings are five stories each, and surround one of the best neighborhood gardens.
You can't miss The Chateau with its distinctive sloping, slate roofs. Built in 1923, its ten buildings enclose an elaborate garden.
Unveiled in 1924 and designed by A.J. Thomas, The Towers was the most luxurious co-op apartment building constructed by the Queensboro Corporation. Only two apartments are on each floor of these eight six-story buildings. The Towers' large interior gardens are outstanding, and its stone griffins are a neighborhood icon.
The first co-op apartment building with an interior garden, Linden Court was a designed by Andrew J. Thomas and opened in 1919.
A full block in size, Dunolly Gardens (1938) was the last project by Andrew J. Thomas in Jackson Heights. It has a more modern look than other buildings from its time.
The first garden apartment building, the limestone facades of the Greystones face one another on 80th Street. The buildings gardens are not enclosed, but border other buildings.
In addition to an interior garden, Laburnum Court (1922) has a courtyard entrance. It's in the neo-Georgian style, designed by George Wells.
Lost before historic landmarking, the a once flourishing garden at neo-Georgian Cambridge Court was replaced by a parking lot. The neighborhood's remaining prized gardens are now protected by landmarking.
Designed by architect George Wells, Elm Court (1922) was the first building in New York City to feature a push-button elevator.
Like Elm Court, Hampton Court (1921) was modeled off a Harvard dorm by architect George Wells. It interior garden is impressive.